Worried about your placement? Will you fit in? Will you have the right skills? What do you need to learn for practice assessments?
This book will help you with all these concerns. It will tell you what to expect from the placement, what you can learn, how to link theory and practice, and how to make the most of your learning opportunities.
- Takes a logical, step-by-step approach to preparing for learning on a Care of the Older Person placement or a general placements in areas where the majority of patients are older people
- Provides an introduction to the principles of care, treatment and management of an older person, linking university-learned theory to clinical practice
- Gives helpful evidence-based practice examples and resources to support placement learning
- Considers some of the more-complex concepts within caring for older people
- Draws on a person-centred approach, looking at theories of ageing and exploring dementia and delirium
- Highlights potential learning opportunities and experiences available placements in specialist care of older people in any setting
- Explains how to develop your portfolio by completing specific exercises and activities
- Maps all activities and exercises to the NMC competencies
- Considers attitudes to older people and explores diversity and contemporary challenges that arise in caring for older individuals
- Integrates learning through an in-depth case study approach links theory to practice.
Worried about your next placement? Will you ‘fit in’? Will you have the right skills? What do you need to learn to meet practice assessments?
This series will help you with all these concerns. It will tell you what to expect from each placement, what you can learn, how to link theory and practice, and how to make the most of your learning opportunities.
This is the only series specifically for student nurses undertaking specific practice placements, and will give you all the information you need in a user-friendly format. Each book in the series covers a specific area of practice for a typical placement on a pre-registration nursing course. Each title provides:
- A unique guide to getting the most from clinical placements
- How to prepare for your placement
- What you can expect to learn during a placement
- Clear links to, and examples of, achieving NMC competencies
- Guidance on what to use as evidence for your portfolio
- Case studies that link theory with practice
- How to consolidate your experience and learn from the placement
- Tips, activities, further reading suggestions and useful websites.
Titles in the Placement Learning series:
Cancer and palliative care nursing
Mental health nursing
Community care nursing
Older people nursing